These easy stove-top carrots are a healthy version of the heavy, sugary southern side dish. Fresh squeezed orange juice and grated ginger punch up the flavor. Finishing with only a tablespoon each of honey and butter creates a gently sweet glaze with minimal added calories or sugars.
Paleo AIP Ginger Honey Glazed Carrots
- 1 lb organic carrots (orange, yellow, or white – but no red unless you want the whole pan to look oddly pink)
- Juice of 1 large orange (about 1/4 cup)
1 inchthumb ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp local organic honey
- 1 tbsp ghee or organic butter (optional)
- Peel the carrots and cut them into 1 1/2 inch rounds
- Juice the orange and pour it into a wide saucepan
- Peel and grate the ginger (grating is faster and easier than mincing it all!) and add that to the orange juice
- While you’re at it, toss in the cinnamon and salt.
- Now add all your carrots to the pan and shake them until they form a single layer.
- Regardless of the size of your pan, add just enough water to cover the carrots by 2 inches.
- Bring it all to a boil, stir once, then turn down to a simmer and leave it alone for the next 15 minutes. After that, gently shake the pan every few minutes (stirring will just break the carrots up.)
- When the water has entirely boiled away, gently stir in the honey. If you’re using butter, stir that in as well. The combination gives the carrots the silky texture of high calorie, unhealthy glazed carrots but with a fraction of the sugars!
MEAL-PREP TIP: These carrots freeze and reheat exceptionally well! They’re a great, easy side dish when you’re creating your own microwaveable frozen food!