After my adventures finding ground cherries in
- 2 cups very cold heavy cream
- 1 14-oz can
sweetenedcondensed milk, refrigerated
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract, divided
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp salt
1 pintground cherries
- 2 tbsp local honey
- Remove the paper from the ground cherries and quarter them. Toss them in a bowl with 2 tbsp honey and ½ tsp almond extract. Mix well and let the mix sit so some tasty juices have time to leak from the cut fruit.
- Temperature is the key to this easy ice cream coming together well! If you know you’re making it, put a can of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge the night before.
- When you’re ready to make your ice cream, start by whipping the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the remaining 1 tsp almond extract, cardamom powder, and salt into the cold sweetened condensed milk.
- Fold the whipped cream into sweetened condensed milk. The bubbles in the whipped cream provide
softenessand texture, so don’t get too aggressive. Fold it in enough to just mix.
- Add ½ of the cut ground cherries mix. Save the rest for a topping.
- Pour the ice cream into a cake pan and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Serve with
reservedground cherry mix.