If you miss Thai takeout, try whipping up a batch of this lemongrass chicken. Thanks to the turmeric, lemongrass, and ginger it tastes a lot like Thai Yellow Curry. Enjoy it like a stew or try it over some malaga rice.
Lemongrass Chicken Sauce
- 2 organic lemongrass roots (like the ones we saw at Sprouts)
- 2 1/2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice (1 large or 2 small limes) w/zest (zest optional)
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1-2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
Lemongrass Chicken Sauce Directions
- Put the lemongrass root, fresh ginger, garlic, and lime juice into a food processor and pulse gently until they turn into a paste.
- Scrape them into a
sauce pan. Add 1 tbsp lime juice (reserve the rest) and all the other ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let bubble away for 30-45 min, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are nicely mingled and the sauce reduced by about 20%.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if it’s not rocking your world.
- Remove the bay leaves and finish by adding the remaining 1 tbsp lime juice to the finished sauce.
- You can make
this 1-3 daysin advance then use it as a simmer sauce for boneless, skinless chicken.
Faux Thai Lemongrass chicken
- 2 yellow or orange carrots, peeled and sliced thin (1/8 inch)
- 1 white sweet potato, peeled and cubed into
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 – 2 ½ cups of lemongrass chicken
Faux Thai Lemongrass Chicken Directions
- Cube the chicken and brown it in a large skillet (for which you have a lid).
- Remove the chicken and add your thinly sliced carrot. Cook, stirring often for 2-3 minutes. Add your onion and saute until softened. Now toss in that last garlic clove and keep stirring for another 1-2 minutes, or until it’s lightly browned.
- Pour in 2 cups of lemongrass chicken sauce. Dump all that plain chicken back in the skillet, too, as well as the white sweet potato cubes. Put the lid on and bring it to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Let it all play nicely for 15-20 min, or until the carrots and white sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve over Malaga rice or alongside steamed broccoli.